Healthy, easy, yummy… all great words when it comes to the perfect camping recipe. If you’re thinking about taking your new RV out on the road to get away for the weekend, this is a great meal to start your adventure off with! It only takes about 20-30 minutes to prepare, so you’ll all be eating in no time.
“Turkey Taco Bowl”
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 pound lean (93%) ground turkey
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can of crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 slices of Pepper Jack cheese
1. Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Cook in the microwave on HIGH until tender when pierced with a fork, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let the potatoes rest until cool enough to handle.
2. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop the flesh out of the potatoes and place in a medium-sized bowl. Reserve the skins. With the back of a fork, mash the potato flesh until most lumps are gone. Divide the mashed sweet potato evenly between the potato skins. Place on a baking sheet.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat with the olive oil. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, and salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in the crushed/diced tomatoes.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spoon the turkey mixture into each sweet potato skin. Top each with a half slice of pepper jack cheese. Heat in the oven until cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Enjoy!
Easy, yummy recipe that has a perfect balance of great carbs and fats. If your family likes sweet potatoes, four of you can enjoy this delicious meal! It runs at an average of 226 calories a turkey taco bowl, so that’s a plus, as well.
Enjoy this delicious meal for lunch or dinner in your RV. If you haven’t decided on purchasing an RV yet, check out our new RVs and feel free to contact us with any questions. We hope whether you are a seasoned RVer or you’re new to the lifestyle that you enjoy this yummy, easy camping recipe!