Hitch RV as of yesterday, today, tomorrow & years to come will be Hitch RV. We will continue to operate as a FAMILY-OWNED DEALERSHIP just as we were since 2008.Hitch RV as of yesterday, today, tomorrow & years to come will be Hitch RV. We will continue to operate as a FAMILY-OWNED DEALERSHIP just as we were since 2008.
Skip to main content


Everything you always wanted to know about RV's...but were afraid to ask!

Here you will find a set of the most commonly asked questions and our best answers. (But, if you don't find what you're looking for or you don't like our answer, please let us know!) Click on one of the main topics below or browse the whole list.

Frequently Asked Questions

Parts & Accessories
Pre-owned RV's
RV Maintenance
Paperwork...financing, insurance, titling, etc.

Parts & Accessories

Q. What information do I need to order parts for my RV? A. We generally need the year, make, model and serial number. Remember, also, that motorhomes have two serial numbers: one supplied by the chassis manufacturer, which you will find on your title or registration; the other supplied by the motorhome manufacturer, which you will normally find on the coach itself.
Q. Do you sell propane? A. Yes.
Q. Why don't class III hitches come with ball mounts? A. Because vehicle and trailer heights can be different, a specific ball mount must be used for each situation.
Q. Do you sell tires? A. Yes.
Q. Where can I get a key made for my RV? A. We make keys.
Q. What is the difference between a friction sway and a dual cam sway control? A. A friction sway control is designed to stop sway after it starts; a dual cam sway control is designed to stop it before it starts. When backing up a trailer with a friction sway control, the tension on the control must be reduced. No adjustment is required when backing up a trailer with a dual cam control. Friction controls are generally recommended for trailers that are 26 ft. and under. Dual cam sway controls can be used with any length trailer.
Q. Can I leave my awning up in the rain? A. It is always the safest practice to keep your awning tilted somewhat at all times and to close it if any significant rain or wind is expected.
Q. Will you ship parts or accessories directly to me? A. Yes. While we would love to have you stop by to say hello, we would be happy to ship anything to you for a very nominal shipping charge.


Q. Do you do repairs and install accessories in campgrounds? A. Yes. We do service work on RV's in South Jersey campgrounds, whether or not you purchased your unit from us.
Q. Do you pick up and deliver travel trailers? A. Yes. Please contact us for a quote.
Q. Do you do insurance estimates? A. Yes.
Q. Where can I get my oil changed and have other chassis service performed? Please contact our service department (at 1-888-hitchrv or via email) and we will be glad to recommend a chassis service location.
Q. Is it common for an RV battery to lose its charge while not in use? A. Yes. A battery will slowly lose its charge and will need recharging even if not in use.
Q. Can I use my RV while it is plugged into an outside electrical outlet at my house? A. Yes. You should be able to use all the electrical appliances, except that you may not have enough power at the outlet to simultaneously use multiple high draw appliances like air conditioners and microwaves, etc.
Q. What should I do if there is no electric power in any of the 110 volt receptacles? A. Check your circuit breakers and the GFI (ground fault interrupter), which is part of one of the 110 volt receptacles, generally in the bathroom or kitchen.
Q. Does the refrigerator need to be level to work on electricity? A. Yes. The "absorption" type refrigerator must be reasonably level to work properly, whether it is operating on 110 volt AC, 12 volt DC or LP gas.
Q. Do you have a dump station? A. No. The nearest public dump station is on route 295 north bound in the Pennsville area. Also, many of the local campgrounds provide dumping facilities for a fee.
Q. How long can I run off my RV (house) battery? A. There really is a not a single good answer to this. There are too many factors that enter into it, such as what 12 volt appliances (e.g., lights, refer., etc.) you will be using, how long you will use each, how many batteries of what type are installed, what is the condition of each, etc.
Q. Do you detail RV's? A. No.


Q. Do you buy used RV's? A. No. However, we would be happy to help you sell your RV via a "consignment sale."

Q. What type of vehicle do I need to tow a trailer? A. Tent campers typically weigh in the range of 1,000 to 2500 lbs. Travel trailers and fifth wheels generally weigh between 3,000 lbs. and 12,000 lbs. Check your tow vehicle owner's manual or contact your tow vehicle dealer to determine its specific towing capacity. If you need any help in determining the towing capacity of your vehicle, please contact us!
Q. What can I do if I don't have a vehicle that can tow a travel trailer? A. We can deliver the unit to a campground, where you can rent a "permanent" site and use the trailer as a vacation home.
Q. Is it legal for somebody to travel inside an travel trailer while it is being towed? A. In most states, traveling inside a moving travel trailer is illegal. And, even though it may be legal in some places, we don't think it is a good idea at all, since there are no seatbelts in travel trailers.
Q. Where can I keep my RV, if I am unable to store it at my home? A. There are several locations where RV storage can be purchased for a nominal charge. We would be happy to help you find one.
Q. Can I use my RV in the winter? A. Most RV's have built in furnaces that allow for their use in cold weather. However, you will have to take some simple steps to prevent the fresh and waste water systems from freezing and excessive humidity build up inside. We would be happy to advise you on the available options.

Pre-Owned RV's

Q. Is there a good selection of used RV's to choose from? A. Yes. Hitch-RV has the largest selection of used units in the area.
Q. Is there an advantage to buying a late model used RV? A. Yes. You can often save thousands of dollars over the price of a comparable new vehicle and get more RV for your money.
Q. How can I be sure that everything works, if I buy a used RV. A. We thoroughly inspect our used units (unless sold 'as is') and provide the buyer with a list of all the systems and appliances that are included in the checkout. Then, when you pick up or we deliver your unit, we will provide a complete explanation and demonstration of how these items operate.
Q. Can I trade in my existing vehicle on a used RV? A. Yes. Trade-ins are welcomed.

RV Maintenance

Q. Should I cover my unit when it is not in use? A. Yes. Covering your RV when it is not going to be used for an extended period of time will make clean up much easier. We carry a line of "breathable" RV covers that come in a variety of sizes.
Q. Should I close the slideout on my RV for the winter? A. Yes.
Q. How do you clean a rubber roof? A. With ordinary household soap and water.
Q. Should you wax trailers, motorhomes and other RV's? A. Yes. Both fiberglass and aluminum sided vehicles should be waxed periodically. When RV's are kept waxed they look better and are much easier to keep clean.
Q. How often should the roof of an RV be coated? A. Every Spring you should inspect the roof for cracking or peeling and coat as needed.
Q. How often should the wheel bearings of an RV be repacked? A. Every 15,000 miles or every three years.
Q. How can I de-winterize my RV's fresh water system? A. Hook up the unit to a fresh water supply and run all faucets until the water runs clean.
Q. Should I "winterize" the generator? A. Yes. You should disconnect the gas line and drain the gas out of the generator, if you will not be using it for a prolonged period of time.
Q. How much air should I put in the tires on my RV? A. There are many different types of tire used on RV's; each of which may have a different pressure rating. There is, however, a recommended tire pressure listed on the vehicle data plate and also on the tire itself.
Q. Can I replace the bias ply tires on my RV with radial tires? A. Yes, but make sure that you get the correct size and load range.

Paperwork, Financing, Insurance, Titling, etc.

Q. Must I have a large down payment in order to finance an RV? A. No. Some of the financial institutions we deal with will provide financing with little or no money down.
Q. I've heard that the interest on an RV loan is tax deductible for Federal tax purposes. Is that correct? A. Yes. In most cases the interest on an RV loan is deductible under the same rules that apply to the mortgage interest on a first or second home. The RV must have sleeping, cooking and toilet facilities to qualify. However, please be sure to contact your tax advisor for the detailed requirements.
Q. Can I finance a used RV? A. Yes. Financing is available on most used RV's for extended terms and competitive rates.
Q. Do you do your own financing? A. In house financing is available under certain circumstances.
Q. Can I refinance my current RV loan? A. Yes, you can refinance your current RV loan in order to take advantage of lower interest rates or extend the term to achieve a lower payment. We can handle such refinancing, even if you did not purchase your RV from us.
Q. Do travel trailers have to be inspected? A. Not in New Jersey. New Jersey requires the owner to perform a "self-inspection" to assure that vehicle is road worthy. Pennsylvania and some other states do require a formal inspection.
Q. Do you need a special license to drive a motorhome? A. No.
Q. Do you need a special drivers license when towing a car behind a motorhome? A. No.
Q. Does my car insurance cover my travel trailer? A. In many cases the insurance on the tow vehicle will cover the trailer for liability only and only when it is being towed. It is best to check with you insurance agent to determine specifically what your policy covers.
You can also purchase separate insurance, which covers your trailer for collision damage and hazards other than collision, such as fire, theft, etc. We can arrange for this type of insurance for you.

Q. Am I required to have insurance? A. Insurance is required by the financial institution, if you finance your RV, and is required for all motorized vehicles in most states.

Q. What should I do if I am trading in a pop-up tent camper, which in NJ has no title? A. In New Jersey the registration acts in place of the title and must be turned over to the new owner when the camper is sold or traded.
Q. Does the title on my trade need to be in my name? A. Yes.
We hope that we have answered your questions. But, if you need more information on any subject, please be sure to contact us.